HATS OFF TO YOU! I love your support, thank you for checking out the blog this week. I get many questions while hardhatting about who I “really am” and what I “actually do.” So I thought I would share how I think of myself and my aspirations in 5 broad categories.
- Family Fanatic- My family and I are extremely close. I think my parents are crazy in the best way possible, and they churned out some really awesome people including me. My dad and I are co-writing a book about parenting, because I think they do things differently and it has made me who I am. Most parenting books are written by parents, which is awesome except that there is never any connection to how the parents’ style affects their kids. I think parents reading these books deserve to read the perspectives of both a parent and a kid. My parents’ style made me who I am. I am a girl who is proud and confident enough about myself to wear a hard hat, and for the best reasons! Feeding my curiosity and drive to learn, while standing up to gender roles. It is easy to say, “HARD HAT ON!”
- Studious Student- I work hard at school. I don’t study 24/7, but I do put a lot of time into my school work. I work to do my best in the moment. Looking at college, it is a fraction of life, but how you live it matters. So I work hard and earn good grades, but I also go to many sporting events, hang out with friends, and hardhat around Portland. Someone really smart once told me, “do not let school get in the way of your education.” For me this quote has defined my mindset about how to approach the school, life, sleep, etc. balance. This quote perfectly points out that school and studying 24/7 is not an education. I want more than just school; I want a full rounded education. I think spending time at the car dealership learning how to get my own car serviced, and going downtown with my friends while networking and getting life experience is equally as important as time spent with my face in a book.
- Business Bookworm- I am a business major, and going to school for business is a great way to learn the textbook knowledge. But I call myself a bookworm because outside of class I sink into not only business books, but into the real business world. In Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell said, “ten thousand hours is the magic number of greatness.” So to be a ceiling smashing, hard hat wearing business girl, it is going to take more than business school. That is why I strive to be a worm in the world of business- dive in and get all in! Also, great article about that quote and the book, http://www.businessinsider.com/malcolm-gladwell-explains-the-10000-hour-rule-2014-6.
- A Twenty-Something- I just turned 20. It feels weird. I am not a teenager anymore, but I sure as hell do not feel like a qualified adult. It is a good thing I have my hardhat to protect me from the scary part of adulthood. In all seriousness, 20 is a scary time. I am trying to figure out what I want to do with my LIFE. Where do I want to go? What do I want to do? I know what I want short term. Tomorrow I am going to class, 2 weeks from now I know what I will be doing. But what about 10 years from now? Well I have no idea. So I am trying to figure it out. Thank heavens for internships. I am trying to figure out what I like and what I don’t like. Primarily, sales. Do I like sales? Do I want a career in sales? So I am going to jump in and try it. I have been reading and watching about what makes a good sales person. I found a good article, so I wanted to share it. Here’s the link! https://www.retaildoc.com/blog/retail-sales-training-9-ways-to-get-better-at-selling
- Friend- They say friends are family you chose. And I wanted to touch on what I think a friend is. A friend is someone who is not afraid to make sure your actions, morals, and goals align. Being a 20-something, it can be hard to keep heading in the direction you seek to go, and I am thankful for all the friends who have stopped me from doing stuff they knew I would not be proud of in the morning. Shout out to all my friends for the laughs and the guidance. Oh, and for holding my hat while I drive.
No Vlog this week because I am still sick and sound terrible, but I hope you enjoyed the blog. Have a great week, and HARD HAT ON!
Here’s a birthday picture! Featuring my party hat on sideways!